Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What Matters?

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength and your neighbor as yourself. If you love the Lord like this you will obviously obey His commands such as being baptized, becoming a disciple, and gathering with believers to worship the Lord on the Sabbath etc. Being a disciple of Jesus Christ, learning His ways and walking as He walked, is the pinnacle of Christianity, not a mechanical outward showing to go through the motions and prove to someone you did what you were suppose to do. The sum of it all is to live as Christ lived. That is true conversion. Oh, how I need to practice this myself! I fall short, even though I think myself to be a holy man at times. It is laughable. The moment I think myself a holy man I immediately see in the mirror of truth how short I fall from the image of Jesus Christ, the perfect, holy, beautiful, peaceful, loving, healing, helping, servant King of kings and Lord of lords. How I need to listen to His admonition to wash the feet of the brethren, to humble myself, to esteem others as better than myself, to be not a respecter of persons, to help the poor, widows and orphans. I am also guilty of imitating the world around me; that is, the people in this world. It is very true that bad company corrupts good morals. It so often happens that I am not a good example as I think I might be, but that more of the sinner rubs off on me than I rub off on them. Dear Jesus Christ, help me to love you with all that I am and walk with me every moment of every day that I may do your will and be pleasing in your sight. Amen.

No comments: